A Top 10 online newspaper destination (comScore, March 2008), the site links news from 50,000 sources to 360,000 lively user-generated forums. Topix also works with the nation's major media companies to grow and engage their online audiences through forums, classifieds, publishing platforms and RSS feeds.
In 2005, Knight Ridder, Inc., Gannett Co., Inc and Tribune Co. formed a joint venture to buy 75 percent of Topix, leaving the founding managing team with the remaining 25 percent ownership. With McClatchys purchase of Knight Ridder in 2006, McClatchy acquired partial ownership. Today, McClatchy holds an 11.25 percent ownership stake and the company's newspapers have affiliation agreements.