Last updated: June 6, 2022
The following advertising guidelines have been devised to help ensure our McClatchy Ad Manager advertising platform products and solutions deliver the best possible value to our advertising clients and users alike. These guidelines are not legal advice and following these guidelines does not equal legal compliance. Advertisers are responsible to make sure their ads, including associated links within ads, comply with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations. To limit confusion, we have referred to "McClatchy" throughout this Policy as a substitute for the name of the publisher (examples: The Sacramento Bee, Miami Herald, The News & Observer etc.) with whom you may be placing your Ad.
General Content Requirements:
The following requirements must be met:
- Ads must directly relate to the content on your landing page (the url link to your site), and must clearly represent the company, product, brand, or service that is being advertised. For example, if the Ad advertises tennis shoes and the link in the Ad takes the user to a CBD product, the Ad would be rejected.
- Ads must not be false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, or contain gross exaggeration, unsubstantiated claims, spam, harmful code, or other disruptive content.
- Ads cannot insult, harass, or threaten a user, or be vulgar, profane, abusive, defamatory, libelous, or otherwise objectionable. Targeting audiences that would likely be offended by the product or service you are promoting is a violation of this policy.
- Ads cannot express or imply discrimination, whether directed at an individual or a group, and whether based upon the race, sex, creed, national origin, religious affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or language of such individual or group.
- Ads must not violate the intellectual property rights of a 3rd party.
- McClatchy logos may not be used in any ads, and may not suggest the endorsement or partnership of the McClatchy. Ads cannot mimic or resemble McClatchy's graphics, text or other aspects of a McClatchy's “look-and-feel"
McClatchy Ad Manager Prohibited Content Categories
Only retail business or service advertising can be placed through McClatchy Ad Manager. If you need to place a political/advocacy, employment, legal notice, obituary or major/national campaign please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team members will be in touch shortly.
You may not advertise the following products:
- Adult and Sexual Content
- Hate or "Anti" language
- Violent or Shocking Content
- Confusing Websites
- Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia
- Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Devices
- Questionable or false Health Claims
- Tobacco, Cigarettes, Marijuana, CBD and E-cigarettes
Restricted Content Categories
All ad creative will follow a review process. Restrictions apply to display and audio components of an ad. McClatchy may require that the following categories of ads be subject to further review and may have additional required targeting and/or content restrictions, as may be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Adult Content, Profane or Sexually Lewd Content
- Age-Restricted Content
- Depictions of Drugs, Alcohol and Tobacco
- Inappropriate Use of Sex, Horror, Shock or Violence
Third-Party Creative Policies
McClatchy Ad Manager will not accept ads for prohibited content categories on third-party platforms.